Registration Is Now open
Making Mentoring Matter
An in-depth Learning Experience for Mentors and School Leaders
Monday, July 15th – Thursday July 18th, 2019
Join Laura Lipton and Bruce Wellman, co-Directors of Miravia, LLC for a stimulating summer learning experience in Sacramento, CA. Based on the new and expanded third edition of our best-selling book, Mentoring Matters: A Practical Guide to Learning-focused Relationships, this four-day seminar offers practical tools, structured templates, and field-tested tips for professionals who support the growth and development of beginning teachers.
Particpants will enhance their skills for guiding standards-based, learning-focused conversations that develop beginning teachers’ readiness and capacities for making increasingly effective instructional choices.
- Mentor teachers
- Instructional Coaches
- Lead teachers
- Professional developers
- Program coordinators
- Mentoring practices that offer support, create cognitive challenge, and facilitate professional vision for beginning teachers
- Ways to skillfully share data and apply teaching and learning standards within mentoring interactions
- A Continuum of Learning-focused Interaction to balance information sharing with opportunities for processing it.
- The power of structured conversations for planning, reflecting, and problem solving
- Mentor moves that increase the quality, clarity, and time efficiency of interactions with beginning teachers.
Participants will increase confidence and skills in:
- Using teaching and learning standards, classroom observational data, student work products, and performance data to focus conversations and improve the effectiveness of novice teachers
- Supporting productive mentoring relationships that are developmental, growth promoting, and learning-focused.
- Differentiating approaches for working with novices to match the variations in attitude and aptitude they may have for mastering the complexities of teaching
- Enhancing beginning teachers’ capacities to self-assess, frame goals, and reflect on student learning and their own teaching practices
- Structuring conversations that address issues of equity, classroom climate, low student performance, and the need for expanding instructional repertoire
Meet and work with colleagues from around the world. Through presentation, skills clinics, differentiated practice, small and full group interaction, and self-assessment opportunities you will refine and enhance your knowledge and skills.
Special breakout sessions will be offered for principals and instructional supervisors who have responsibilities for evaluating teachers. In these sessions we will present tips and approaches for maintaining a developmental focus as you share data and standards-based feedback with both novice and experienced teachers.
The Institute will be held at The Embassy Suites Hotel, Sacramento Riverfront Promenade, 100 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814
Sessions run from 9:00 AM – 4:30PM each day.
Please note: Group size is limited to allow for rich immersion in professional learning
Registration fees include all seminar materials and a daily meal plan that includes breakouts and lunch.
Individuals – $1075
Teams of five or more receive a $50/per participate discount.
Early Bird Discount:
Register before April 30th, 2019 and receive an additional $50 off
We have arranged for discounted rooms at the hotel – Single or Double $189 + tax, $199 + tax for a King size bed. There are three ways to make your reservations :
- Go to www.sacramento.embassysuites.com and use group/convention code MVS
- Go to MiraVia reservation page
- Call 916 326-5000 and ask for the Mirava Summer discount rate.
Should you need to cancel your registration for any reason, our policy is as follows:
- Up to April 20th, 2019 – Full Refund
- April 21st – June 14th, 2019 – 50% Refund
- After June 15th, 2019 – No Refunds
* Please note -this policy applies to the seminar only. Check with the Hotel and airlines for their policies.