An invaluable reference for mentors of beginning teachers, this guide offers structures, strategies, and tools for developing expertise in teaching and launching a career of continuous learning. The updated and revised Third Edition adds new tools for time-efficient, effective learning-focused conversations, including templates for problem-solving conversations that balance support with learning. You’ll find tons of tips for maximizing time and attention and extensive resources for understanding and supporting each phase of a new teacher’s first years.
This new edition incorporates the growing importance of linking teaching and learning standards to developing professional expertise, including:
- Methods for applying specific teaching and learning standards as a focus for teacher growth
- Tools for using data to calibrate practice and set learning goals
- Nine strategies for learning-focused consultation with specific mentor moves for applying them
- Specific examples related to ensuring inclusive, student-centered classrooms
- Links to online resources, including videos and self-directed tasks to strengthen and stretch both new teachers and their mentors
This new book focuses on mentor learning with Awareness and Action exercises in each section, QR codes to video examples illuminating the mentor’s toolkit and a wealth of ways to support a mentor’s emerging knowledge and skill.
Laura Lipton & Bruce Wellman
Charlotte, VT: MiraVia, LLC, Copyright © 2017
Softcover ISBN 978-0-9981770-1-4 pp. 160
$35.95 (see order form for volume discounts)